[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Fleep Tuque fleep513 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 16:48:33 UTC 2012

Well, to clarify, a user _may_ have rights to copy items in their inventory
from one grid to another, but they also may not  - it all depends on the
individual license for the individual item.

In the current server/viewer schema, the Copy/Mod/Transfer permissions
preserved in the object edit window indicates a limited license applicable
_only_ to the grid where the item originated, as far as I understand. This
is the source of much confusion as many people interpret Copy/Mod/Trans
permissions as a license applying to any grid, but it doesn't, it only
applies to the grid where the item originated.

An item creator can also make a separate license that applies permissions
for other grids, which may give a user permission to copy the item to other
grids, but the problem is, there's no mechanism to record that license and
reliably attach the additional license to the item.  Sticking a notecard in
the item's contents is not a reliable method since it can simply be
deleted, or in the case of an Imprudence type xml import/export, lost even
unintentionally.

Until the server/viewer schema supports the preservation of explicit
licensing options for more than the originating grid (the most popular
suggestion seems to be adding an "exportable" checkbox to the existing
C/M/T scheme), I'm afraid we'll continue to be stuck in this murky state
where no one is entirely sure of the provenance of any item except for the
items they have created themselves, and no one really knows which items are
licensed for copy to other grids and which aren't.

It's an unhappy state of affairs for everyone, right now, IMO.

- Chris/Fleep