[Opensim-users] A question for the sound

InuYasha Meiji inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 19:31:35 UTC 2012

I run and test my Opensim 56 region grid on a Windows 7 64 bit machine
and have both Firestorm and Imprudence installed.  As it turns out I
have no problems with sound except using a script to upload many 10
second clips in a row to play an entire song on an instrument.  As far
as hearing it, I do find it is making sounds lower then usual and they
have to be turned up.  While Firestorm's recent viewer/client works
fine, Imprudence don't seem to work properly for me.

To me this is an Imprudence isue, so I stick to Firestorm.

Good luck and hope the team there don't get disapointed and keep up the
good work.  Not sure Firestorm with add any form of Grid list editor yet.

InuYasha.

On 11/8/2012 2:17 PM, xristina volioti wrote:

> Ok I tested what you've said.. I have the same preferences to both
> computers and the result is that I can hear the sounds in laptop with
> XP but I still cannot hear the sounds in laptop with Windows 7. Also a
> friend of mine tested it to his computer (Windows 7, 64-bit) and he
> can't hear any sound. Do you know if it runs to the Windows 7, 64-bit?
> Also when I log in, a menu pops up with this "Your system contains a
> graphic card that is unknown to us at this time." Do you know if this
> is the problem?
>
> Thank you for your useful help!!
> Best regards,
> Christina

> Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 04:50:07 -0800
> From: wade.schuette at gmail.com
> To: opensim-users at lists.berlios.de
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] A question for the sound
>
> Christina,
>
> You may have several different problems.
>
> First, there is no "standard" volume for uploaded files.  I even have
> problems with some normal mp3's in iTunes
>
>  You may need to increase the volume of your sounds and reload
> them.    Most people I know use a wonderful free product called
> Audacity to do that sort of tweaking.  I've had to increase volume of
> files many times.
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
>
> (side note - If you ever want to use audacity to make mp3 files, you
> also need a separate download it tells you about.)
> If you get to that point, it's easy to use audacity to really boost
> the volume of your clips and see if that helps.
>
> So, one question I'd ask is whether you can hear OTHER sounds, and
> whether other people can hear the sounds YOU uploaded.   Both of those
> tests can help pin down whether the problems are at the server end or
> the client end, or both.
>
> First test any YouTube video with soft music to be sure your local
> machine volume is working properly on both clients.
> The Moonlight Sonata is a good test. I like this version:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6txOvK-mAk
>
> It's remarkably easy to inadvertently alter or even mute the local
> machine's volume control.   Even when you have it set correctly,
> ill-behaved products such as Skype can change your volume and leave it
> changed when you exit them.
> Microsoft operating systems have a number of hidden ways they try to
> be "helpful" that interfere with sound in non-obvious ways, both
> output and mike-input.
>
> Make sure you shove EVERY slider on your audio preferences panel to
> the far right for testing this sort of thing, to eliminate that as a
> confounding problem.
>
> The script commands PLAY and LOOP, or whatever they are,  both have
> their own volume option -- make sure it's set to the maximum. (1.0 ??
> I forget right now.)

> loud on each computer.   If not, investigate and fix
>             the issues that have nothing to do with your clip or
> OpenSim.  Don't forget to look for muted output and
>             unplugged cables.

> [...]

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).