[Opensim-users] Can I rely on consistent UUIDs for things imported from different grids using IAR/OAR files?

Edmund Edgar ed at avatarclassroom.com
Sat Mar 24 09:20:40 UTC 2012

Me and Fire Centaur are doing some work on SLOODLE (and our hosted
service, Avatar Classroom) that uses ZZText (see
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/ZZText ) to display text on a prim.
This relies on a dozen or so uploaded textures, which are currently
identified in the script by hard-coded UUIDs. We will distribute the
finished thing as IAR/OAR so it can be easily loaded into any grid.

We've put the textures into the inventory of the object, and when we
export textures in an IAR or OAR, it seems like the UUIDs are saved
along with the textures. If we load that IAR/OAR into another grid,
can we rely on the UUIDs always being the same? Or are there some
circumstances where a texture exported from one grid and imported into
another will end up having a different UUID?

--
Edmund Edgar
Avatar Classroom

ed at avatarclassroom.com