[Opensim-users] Sim size limits

Ovi Chris Rouly maelzel at ieee.org
Wed Mar 21 04:15:46 UTC 2012

Hi Justin,

I finally got my Sa-Hg 0.7.3 "serverless grid" to work based on OS website
source download and compile.  However, there were numerous undocumented
changes that I had to guess at, reason-out based on the error logs and from
comparisons between the OS downloads and the Diva Distro, and many others I
had to just "pull out of the air."

For example, the login calls to the MySQL dBase no longer "tolerated" a
literal "10.0.0.10" address in their "DataSource" field.  (It seems like
only the "localhost" now suffices?)  Deletion of the "null.dll" lines in
"almost" every case relative to their MySQL counterpart insertions wasn't so
shocking but I found it was necessary in almost every case.  (I'm thinking
that was new to 0.7.3?)  A substitution of more than a half-dozen HG-centric
lines taken from the Diva Distro configs and copied into the Hypergrid.ini
config was not listed in the OpenSim website downloads. And what can only be
described as an "innovative omission" of how to handle the PresenceService
null.dll line in the Hypergrid.ini file.  That little bugger had to be
deleted outright.

My test was a simple: a 4 Sim X 16 region/Sim demo with meter-scale L3DT
prepared USGS DEMS on a 32-bit XP SP3 machine.  This demo (kernel) can now
be expanded to my main 64-bit platform with port-mapping for 256 regions.  I
am truly appreciative for all the development teams hard work.  The region
crossings are better, the physics is impressive, and much much more.  Unity
still can't lay a finger on this technology.

Respectfully yours,

Chris