[Opensim-users] Sim size limits

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 20 01:38:35 UTC 2012

I think I'm mistakenly giving the impression that they're much more flaky than they actually are (which might not be
particularly flaky, more requiring some workarounds).  I do suggest trying them out.

It certainly is possible to improve things in this area, it's just difficult to estimate since it requires
adaptation/improvements on both client and server side.  If I was to hazard a guess I would say a solid month on the
server side and the same on the viewer side.

On 19/03/12 09:54, David Burden wrote:
>     Thanks for all the feedback.
>
>     Sarge - Looked at Aurora ages ago, might be time for another look (if I can get it to work).
>
>     James/Justin- got the impression from this list that Megaregions were still very flaky, and also a bit of kludge
>     rather than true large regions
>
>     Toni - I'll have a play with region size. Using Mesh terrain might be fine. And we've done the @scale piece before,
>     worked really well when we put an Apache HUD on and started flying over it like a flightsim
>     (http://www.daden.co.uk/blog/2012/03/opensim-as-apache-flightsim.html), but these use cases needs real avatars.
>
>     Diva - is yours just a Vanilla opensim build with 64+ sims? Any problems with building across the boundaries - is it
>     urban or rural? Any special tools to generate/manage it? 64 OAR files?
>
>     It's interesting how much of this depends on the viewer, which tends to echo some of the other discussion about the
>     need for an "opensim" viewer.
>
>     Only reason for mentioning money was that the stock (commercial) developer response is that of course it's possible,
>     it just depends about how much money you've got, so just wanted to get passed that. And I'm with InuYasha about
>     spending my lottery win (along with buying the GDW Traveller licence).

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog
http://twitter.com/justincc