[Opensim-users] Hypergrid Outbound Probs & HG Address Confusion

Mimetic Core core at odosys.net
Fri Sep 23 02:42:12 UTC 2011

Fleep,

Here's my personal understandings and opinions on your first question:

The only straightforward solution (afaik) would be to create a new
viewer framework from the ground up with code written in bias of
OpenSim's unique properties.  Considering how much time and effort is
required to develop and maintain the current viewers and that it's
almost completely done on a non-paying volunteer basis, it's safe to say
that it will be some time until the problem is completely resolved.  If
there's anyone here who's a crack coder working on a secret viewer,
please speak up and set my timeline straight.

Now, as for grid locations - I completely respect the concept of moving
grids below 4096, but I also happen to share an opinion (and not a
popular one) that 10000, 10000 should be the default location around
which all grids /interested in being part of the hypergrid community/
should congregate.  This is because OSGrid is centered there and has
been - long before HG was introduced.  For myself and many others it is
(and always will be) the center of the known metaverse.  Since it's also
the development grid for OpenSim itself why not make it home base?  I
understand some people aren't necessarily fond of OSGrid for it's
non-uniform nature, some have never visited or have only limited
knowledge of its inner workings and others are looking for grids with a
currency system geared for fame and fortune.  However, there a few
aspects of OSGrid which make it the ideal Hypergrid nexus:

1. It's completely free and open, even in it's content and services.
Anyone can land there, pick up a folder load of freebies, meet people
who can answer technical questions and hyperjump to many interesting
locations.

2. It offers OpenSim newcomers a chance to connect to a functioning grid
and learn the basic ins and outs of roll your own regions before
striking out on their own and setting up standalone grids.

3. Barring a major malfunction of the main servers, there will always be
some part of OSGrid up and running.  This is not always the case with
independent grids as we've all experienced.

4. Given the first three points and probably several other benefits that
go unmentioned, it would be far easier for people to relocate their
grids (of considerably less size and complexity) closer to OSGrid than
the other way around.

This is /my/ reason for placing my grid around 8000, 8000 and I know
there are others who do likewise.  If grid owners/managers prefer to
remain below 4096 they can and should place intermediate jump parcels
accordingly.  What's one extra jump in the entire process?  I've taken
the subway to and from work and other locations for years with line
changes as part of my daily commute.  My only other option would be to
move closer to work - I choose not to. I guess I view that and hypergrid
travel in the same light - an invaluable convenience, imperfect in it's
design, but unmatched by any alternatives within the given framework.

Just my 0.02 USD ;)

- core