[Opensim-users] ToS and HG

Robert Martin robertltux at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:36:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Sarge Misfit
<fubat.enterprises at gmail.com> wrote:
> Doesn't HG already land a person at 128, 128, ground?
>
> The reason I'm asking about this is that I am planning on making my
> stand-alone public and having a good ToS in place is important. I
> don't want to end up setting up a visitor as violating anything. Other
> recent discussions have raised this issue, mostly about avatars, but
> also the very important issue of intellectual property protection.
>
> For example, the DMCA applies to US-based grids, but I'm Canadian, so
> my ToS should include something about Canadian IP protection law
> having jurisdiction. I think.

The real hook is that the law gets "messy" since there are possibly 3
different countries involved and the overlap in laws may cause
conflicts.
1 users physical location
2 users POP /network "location"
3 location for the grid server/ grid owner <---- this may actually be
a fourth location

I would think that somebody needs to throw enough "chum" into a shark
pool to get this sorted out as a first pass effort.

In this case i think that the stricter law applies (which would be the
US DMCA) for those using a Canadian Grid in the US.
--
Robert L Martin