[Opensim-users] Retaining correct creator/owner when moving OARs between stand-alone simulators.

Cider Jack ciderjack.vw at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 22:52:39 UTC 2011

Re: name collisions (I like that terminology)
Additionally, a skilled professional builder in-world would have his
reputation tarnished if someone were to upload poor-quality goods with
the same creator name. Again, this wouldn't require any 'evil intent',
the uploader may just be completely unaware of the other builder.

I don't mean to spread FUD (really!), but I do think it's something to
keep in mind. I'm very happy to see the introduction of the --profile
switch. It's a major step in the right direction and much better than
nothing, but it's not yet a complete solution. And really, name
collisions, at least those with any notable consequences, would be
extremely rare I expect.

I hold hope that since the 6-month wall has been removed between
viewer & server development, we can expect to see workable solutions
eventually. I'm looking forward to things like "Next owner can/cannot
transfer this off-grid" checkbox permissions! Ideally including a CC
permission drop-down box on objects/textures, to select the
appropriate CC license (perhaps providing the appropriate link?), as
well as including Public Domain & traditional copyright on that list.
Something similar for scripts with GPL, BSD, whathaveyou... /me keeps
dreaming...

@Justin
I agree that "overly trusting user names on grids is a mistake",
though some people's professional reputations depend in large part on
their avatar names (whether using their RL name or not). Jokay
Wollongong and Pathfinder Lester are a couple that come to mind
immediately. Virtual worlds really are a "second life" in more ways
than one, and as time & technology progress, will become more tightly
intertwined & harder to separate from our first. Though I'm sure I
don't need to tell you, of all people! :)

Cheers,
~!CJ