[Opensim-users] Retaining correct creator/owner when moving OARs between stand-alone simulators.

Karen Palen karenpalensl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 01:11:44 UTC 2011

I am waiting to see what happens when the Sim-World and Avatar Hangout
merge comes on line in (supposedly) 9 days from now.
http://www.sim-world.org/

"Karen Palen" has account on BOTH grids, and as far as the operators of
the grids know there is NO relationship between the two! The DO have
similar (but not identical) inventories.

In fact both inventories are derived from my private standalone sim
where I do all of my building. However NEITHER grid operator has any way
to know or verify this!

Over the years I have become an expert on "name collisions" in my
professional work. Mostly because they are so easy to produce without
intending to (who would EVER merge THOSE two projects????) and in many
cases they are impossible to resolve properly.

At the VR level it is bad enough, but when you merge two huge
engineering projects (say two jet fighter designs - think F14 and F15)
each with a couple of TERRABYTES of design information which may or may
not use the same names for different things ...

I have seen several $1B+ projects (government AND private) abandoned
because of this problem. Of COURSE the "finger pointing" never
acknowledged this, but the workers know all!

When you add "evil intent" to the mix you open a whole host of added
possibilities!

According to one of the "less reputable" blogs I monitor, forging Torley
Linden" as creator of copybotted items in Second Life is now the "latest
thing".

They seem to rotate between various Lindens and various Second Life
personalities (whom I don't know) as "hated bad guy of the day". The
actual "debate" is about who to target next.

I am SO glad that circus has not YET migrated to OpenSimulator!

Karen