[Opensim-users] Config option to lower Xengine debugging level?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 28 21:41:35 UTC 2011

Yes, the traditional log setting has been DEBUG for OpenSim as an alpha level project.

I actually find the discipline of this quite good - it encourages people not to leave a huge amount of logging output in
debug and make it extremely difficult to pin down an error when you do need some such output.  But it's a debatable
point since one could adjust the log4net stuff instead.

As you say, it's not the highest priority item to address :)

On 27/10/11 16:36, Oren Hurvitz wrote:
> OpenSim uses the log4net library for logging, and it supports this behavior.
> Just add the following lines to OpenSim.exe.config, inside the<log4net>
> section:
>
>      <logger name="OpenSim.Region.ScriptEngine.XEngine.XEngine">
>          <level value="INFO" />
>      </logger>
>
> The log lines that you referred to have a log level of DEBUG, so they won't
> be printed anymore.
>
> (By the way, I noticed that the standard practice in the OpenSim codebase is
> to add lots of logging during development, but then comment out most of the
> lines before committing the code. This could be done better by writing the
> log lines using DEBUG, and then setting the default log level for that
> module to INFO in the configuration. That way, whenever anyone wants to see
> those lines again they only have to change the configuration file; they
> don't have to recompile OpenSim. This is what I do in my own code. However,
> going back and implementing this change for existing modules is probably not
> high on anyone's list of priorities...)

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog
http://twitter.com/justincc