[Opensim-users] Config option to lower Xengine debugging level?

Oren Hurvitz orenh at kitely.com
Thu Oct 27 15:36:07 UTC 2011

OpenSim uses the log4net library for logging, and it supports this behavior.
Just add the following lines to OpenSim.exe.config, inside the <log4net>
section:

    <logger name="OpenSim.Region.ScriptEngine.XEngine.XEngine">
        <level value="INFO" />
    </logger>

The log lines that you referred to have a log level of DEBUG, so they won't
be printed anymore.

(By the way, I noticed that the standard practice in the OpenSim codebase is
to add lots of logging during development, but then comment out most of the
lines before committing the code. This could be done better by writing the
log lines using DEBUG, and then setting the default log level for that
module to INFO in the configuration. That way, whenever anyone wants to see
those lines again they only have to change the configuration file; they
don't have to recompile OpenSim. This is what I do in my own code. However,
going back and implementing this change for existing modules is probably not
high on anyone's list of priorities...)