[Opensim-users] Profiles

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 14 14:05:41 UTC 2011

On 14/10/11 11:22, Ai Austin wrote:

>> Thanks for the files
>> I set them up and have some connectivity I know it's working because if I
>> change the db name it shows me the db not found on the screen
>> I get picks to load and the avatars date is now showing
>> I will see tomorrow if it is going to increment or stay at day one
>> I can't get a picture to stay in the database and no totes seem to work
>> the one error I get on the consol is the message I am sending is out of
>> range
>> but thank you this is a start hopefully with a little playing I can get it
>> all to work
>

> Gary and others, let us all know if you get an up to date working system for profiles in 0.7.2 and put the files in a
> shared place. I have made most things work over the years in OpenSim.. and had some partial things like picks working
> too but have never got profiles working on the Openvue grid.
>
> I wish one initial setup for profiles, offline IM, groups and web front end (Wifi?) were part of core!

One issue with this is that core is already a complex and unusual software product with >300K lines of code.  It's
already difficult to understand and maintain - adding more code for divergent use cases would exacerbate these problems.

Hence the desire to eventually see downstream distributions (such as Diva's) that integrate OpenSim and other packages
(such as profiles and web front end) to meet different use cases.

Whether this is realistic or not remains to be seen.  It might depend on whether parts of OpenSim such as agent and
object management can eventually be considered generic facilities, analogous to webservers and database systems, or
whether OpenSim is more like a complete content management system such as Joomla or Drupal that comes with a functional
set of core modules and a wider universe of external modules.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog