[Opensim-users] [Opensim-dev] Upload Collada Meshes to OpenSim0.7.1.1

Ken Grunke kenearlg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 21:58:12 UTC 2011

On 10/8/2011 12:08 PM, Paul Fishwick wrote:
> On 10/6/2011 12:18 PM, Garmin Kawaguichi wrote:
>> About meshes from Evolver used as rigged wearable, the problem seems to be the number of bones; may be 26 for LL and variable for Evolver. (The problem exiss for LL Second Life and for OpenSim)
> In some of the online docs, it would seem that a specific # of bones
> and bone names have
> to be used. Somewhat surprising, as I had thought that any mesh with
> any armature should
> naturally be importable (i.e., if you wanted to build a robot arm with
> 3 bones) into the
> viewer.

I've been trying to get a decent mesh avatar together, it's not a piece
of cake. You are correct that the SL armature has a specific amount of
bones and even specific names. This site has been helpful, but it is
still on Blender 2.49.
http://blog.machinimatrix.org/3d-creation/blender-meshes-trail/rigg-your-avatar/

Here are updates for that page, for 2.5x users:
http://blog.machinimatrix.org/bone-weight-copy-for-blender-2-59/

I am still struggling with this, so cannot offer much help at this
point. Hope this has shed some light on the subject!

Ken aka Key Gruin on OSGrid