[Opensim-users] creating your own avatar

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Sun Oct 2 00:09:43 UTC 2011

On 10/1/2011 6:21 PM, M.E. Verhagen wrote:
> Is the rigging of avatar meshes implemented in opensim ?
the collada files are stored in the database and skeletal rigging is
implemented in the viewer.

> Could it be you are trying to use functionality wich is not yet there ?
the functionality is there --- try simplebot in:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Uploading_and_wearing_a_rigged_mesh

this works quite well using the invisible avatar recommended by Garmin. You can
wear this mesh and apply animations, including the default ones (walking).

I did a little more investigating and noted that the rigged mesh used in
simplebot was created in Blender and then exported to Collada in a form
that must be acceptable to the SL viewer. Evolver-exported Collada files
have bones but the XML content hierarchy in those files
have a different encoding that the SL viewer doesn't like.

If you find anything contrary to the above, or find a solution, let
me know.

-p