[Opensim-users] creating your own avatar

Garmin Kawaguichi garmin.kawaguichi at magalaxie.com
Sat Oct 1 07:47:25 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Fishwick" <fishwick at cise.ufl.edu>
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2011 3:07 AM
Subject: [Opensim-users] creating your own avatar
>I was hoping to get one of the free evolver.com avatars and
> put it inside of OpenSim using the recent V3 viewer.
>
> After reading through this:
>
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Uploading_and_wearing_a_rigged_mesh

I tested partially the rigging mode of Evolver; until now V3 refused (in
OpenSim and SL) the .DAE including RIG (The update button disappears); I'll
continue to try that since Evolver has several rigging modes.

> I uploaded the .dae mesh but noted that there is no option to open
> Library -> Body Parts -> Alpha Masks. I suppose that wearing this would
> make the current shape transparent so that only the uploaded .dae
> mesh will show. There is a default transparent texture but that doesn't
> help when trying to make the Ruth body parts invisible.
As noted in the LL Wiki that is an alpha Mask found in their Library; this
mask is not in the Opensim Library. When the Mask is worn under SL and the
avatar has detached all things, the avatar appears invisible. For SL:
Inventory => Library => Alpha Masks => Invisible Avatar.
Note that you can test a Collada with joint using the simpebot.zip and
following the WIKI to ipload it and WEAR it.

> Also, I am wondering whether it is possible to use the accompanying .jpg
> texture that is output from evolver along with the mesh. The white "bot"
> .dae example on that page has no options for clothing ... just a vanilla

Evolver DAE files are downloaded with jpg files. Use the color jpg (of
course upload it in your inventory!) as a texture to apply editing the mesh
uploaded. Works fine to me.

GCI