[Opensim-users] creating your own avatar

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Sat Oct 1 02:07:49 UTC 2011

I was hoping to get one of the free evolver.com avatars and
put it inside of OpenSim using the recent V3 viewer.

After reading through this:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Uploading_and_wearing_a_rigged_mesh

I uploaded the .dae mesh but noted that there is no option to open
Library -> Body Parts -> Alpha Masks. I suppose that wearing this would
make the current shape transparent so that only the uploaded .dae
mesh will show. There is a default transparent texture but that doesn't
help when trying to make the Ruth body parts invisible.

Also, I am wondering whether it is possible to use the accompanying .jpg
texture that is output from evolver along with the mesh. The white "bot"
.dae example on that page has no options for clothing ... just a vanilla
mesh w/ rigging.

Has anyone tried this?

The other possibility is to build an avatar from scratch with "shape"
but I am
unsure of the format for shape - some online searching indicates a
Linden-specific
format for shape information
(re:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Avatar_Appearance#Linden_skeleton_definition_file)