[Opensim-users] Avatars ehancement and/or simplification

Toni Alatalo toni at playsign.net
Wed May 11 17:30:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 15:05 +0200, Antoine Bapst wrote:
> I'm currently working "client side" on avatars (skin, clothes, animations)
> and I found that positionning and rendering are somehow desapointing.
> Is there any way we could modify the shapes (I mean the way outer bodys are
> made, not the skeletton itself; we can't override animation base principes)

I think the default AV mesh is bundled in the viewer -- if this is for
some special application where you customize the client anyway, you can
just replace it there with your modified mesh. It is some creative
commons license, we also bundle it in the Naali viewer (just converted
to the Ogre format which is native there). I think it is there as a .obj
or something on the Linden site (used to be in a zip called art pack or
so), don't know what format slviewer uses to load it but I think you
should be able to edit it with Blender or 3dsmax or so.

With the Linden mesh support in the experimental builds of slviewer2
now, I think you can also use arbitrary meshes as avatars. Haven't
tested myself but heard people talk about it.

realXtend has also always (for 3 years) allowed using arbitrary meshes
as avatars, and also using custom materials on them (like on any mesh)
for e.g. toon shading for cartoon like looks. Nowadays works so that you
just put a URL to your av mesh in your av xml / using the editor. For
example these bunnies work as avatars :)
http://www.realxtend.org/kuvat/rex_bunnyworld3.jpg

> Antoine

~Toni