[Opensim-users] PhyFPS

Karen Palen karenpalensl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 04:39:07 UTC 2010

I can add one more datum point to this, I have the latest Diva distro
(V0.7.0.2) standalone running on an Athlon triple core 3X 445 with very
light cpu load up to 5 users - the most I have tried.  I documented this in
the wiki running on my Intel I7 machine, but the MUCH lower performance low
end Athlon (by about 200X!) is giving very similar results. The Athlon was
simply chosen as the cheapest CPU on th e market last month (US$64) and has
proven to be quite adequate for 10 regions.

The major limit seems to be the IO bandwidth of my consumer cable
connection. As noted previously, this dramatically increases CPU usage as
the IO "maxes out".

As Teravus commented, scripted objects and things like collisions make a far
greater difference than the basic region maintenenace.

Try it out for yourself on: http://mars-simulator.hobby-site.org:9000/wifi

Karen