[Opensim-users] NPC module?

bodzette Coignet bodzettecoignet at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 16:14:53 UTC 2010

Thanks for the tip Gwyneth. Didn't I see you in an ancient greek themed
party in SL the other week?

Anyways, what I'm looking for is not quite so ambitious. I can see that the
stubs for the code are there in the following folder of the source code:
\Region\OptionalModules\World\NPC

It also looks like that particular code does the basics: i.e. walk the bot,
make it appear, make it disappear, make it talk etc and given that it shows
you which module to code against to make the avatar move it shouldn't be too
complicated to extend and I've already learned how to compile a viewer
through sweat and tears so I ought to be able to compile opensim with some
effort.

My problem is more basic than that: how do you load the NPC module from the
console when opensim is actually running or else how do you make it start
firing the events that create the NPCs etc? I don't know where to start with
that and since documentation is so scarce I'm hoping one of the devs can
enlighten us how to get it going at least and then I can take it from there.

If I manage to get it more robust with a better feature set I will release
the code open source.

Personally speaking I reckon that server side NPCs is the killer app that
will take opensim into the mainstream and we need this to be open sourced
because who knows what the future of opensim is going to be if SL keeps
losing paying merchants.

Though it's not intially designed to be a gamin platform ONLY, gaming
certainly is within the remit as games are simulations and look at the RPG
usage. My take is that the SL and opensim RPGs are boring for precisely the
reason that they lack NPCs unlike the other commerical RPGs.

There are thousands of kids out there on the net who all want to be game
programmers. We should enable them, with opensim as the opensource platform.

My 2c.