[Opensim-users] viewer with minimal streaming delay

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Wed Oct 20 13:26:50 UTC 2010

  Gwyneth and Jor3l:

  The audio stream using the parcel streaming URL (mp3 file), which is
produced
dynamically by Pure Data (PD), which operates through avatar interaction
in-world,
so a control/audio feedback loop.
  If I manually make an ajustment in PD, I hear the results immediately
if I route the
audio to the sound card. If I instead route the audio to mp3cast~ (an
object in PD),
then it routes to land parcel via the streaming URL. Therefore, the
delay lies somewhere
in between the bytes sent from PD to the bytes received by the land
parcel, which
is presumably forwarded to the client. PD has no perceivable delays --
its audio output is
immediate as a result of real-time parameter modification (e.g., UI
sliders).
  Maybe you are right that a few seconds is normal and that we cannot
get beyond
that.
  Here is an entry into my R&D blog which points to the student web URL:

http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick/Blog/Entries/2010/10/3_Dancing_resonance.html

  We use Shoutcast because we could not get Icecast to work correctly
(always had
lots of distortion in the stream).
-p