[Opensim-users] Asset setup incorrect?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 19 22:04:39 UTC 2010

On 19/10/10 14:25, Brooks Boyd wrote:
> Thanks, that worked! So, now I can see the avatar, but it still begs the
> question, why weren't default shape, skin, hair and eyes created? I see
> in the /opensim/bin/assets/ folder that there is a
> BodyPartsAssetSet/BodyPartsAssetSet.xml file and AssetSets.xml file that
> looks like it's referencing it, but those items weren't created in the
> new avatar. There's also /bin/inventory/BodyPartsLibrary/ files, and
> those weren't created in the avatar's inventory either. The only library
> items that got created were texture files. Anything I can do to rectify
> that?

Those aren't used to create a new avatar - currently no items are set up by default on stock OpenSim.

I'm rather surprised you were able to actually create those parts, since in my last test Viewer 2 would not let you wear
anything if it couldn't download your appearance in the first place.

Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do yet, short of having a separate script that creates and sets appearance
for a new user (I believe this is how grids do it).  Actually, now I think about this there is some code in the XMLRPC
module that allows you to specify default body parts/clothing, but I haven't tried to use it and this would require
invoking create user via an HTTP XMLRPC call.

Hopefully these issues will be addressed sometime soon.

> Brooks
>

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Teravus Ovares <teravus at gmail.com
> <mailto:teravus at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     The most common cause of this is the avatar parts not worn with Viewer2.
>
>     To resolve the issue, Create and wear, Shape, Skin, Hair and
>     Eyes.     You may have to also create clothes depending on the
>     rating of the simulator and your client settings.     once you've
>     created these in your inventory and worn them, The client will bake
>     a texture and your avatar will appear.   Be warned.  If you don't
>     create clothes..   you may appear nude.
>
>     Teravus
>
>     On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:28 AM, Brooks Boyd
>     <boydb at midnightdesign.ws <mailto:boydb at midnightdesign.ws>> wrote:
>

>         I'm trying to get an OpenSim server running on a Fedora box, and
>         I was able to get most of the installation complete
>         successfully, and I can connect to the new server with a client,
>         but when I do so, the client is showing no inventory items at
>         all (though it does have Library items), including no shape,
>         skin, or clothing. The avatar looks like a white gas cloud, and
>         does have the "(Loading...)" tag under their name. Creating a
>         skin and shape, wearing them, and editing them does nothing. I
>         saw some troubleshooting pages about if you wear all the default
>         items at once, the viewer makes you look like a cloud due to it
>         thinking you're "Ruth", but in this case there are no default
>         items, and I was trying wearing only one item at a time.
>
>         Editing the appearance of the clothing item, skin or shape shows
>         proper rendered shapes of the avatar in the thumbnail boxes in
>         the editing panel, so I'm guessing the mesh is in there
>         somewhere, but not loading. Where should I look first to correct
>         this? The only customization I made to this server setup is to
>         use MySQL instead of SQLite. I'm using the 0.7.0.2 version of
>         OpenSim, with the Second Life Viewer 2 client.
>
>         Brooks

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc