[Opensim-users] re-why not a real OS?

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 03:34:19 UTC 2010

Hi Ric,

Mainly the memory footprint. Certain things under mono take significantly
more memory than they do under .net. To add insult to injury, none of mono's
garbage collection (memory reclamation/recycling) are compacting garbage
collectors, so while the process may clean up it's internal memory just
fine, the the operating system is never able to recover below the memory
'high water mark' of the process.

This is set to improve with mono 2.8, which does have one such garbage
collection option, but it is quite new and has yet to be thoroughly tested
in an OpenSim context. Early testing indicate that it will be an improvement
in this condition, but other issues do exist (sqlite for instance).

Do let us know if you have further questions, we're generally full of (ahem)
answers ;)

Cheers and regards,

James/Hiro
SimHost.com