[Opensim-users] re-why not a real OS?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 04:10:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 22:34 -0500, James Stallings II wrote:
> Hi Ric,
>

> Mainly the memory footprint. Certain things under mono take
> significantly more memory than they do under .net. To add insult to
> injury, none of mono's garbage collection (memory
> reclamation/recycling) are compacting garbage collectors, so while the
> process may clean up it's internal memory just fine, the the operating
> system is never able to recover below the memory 'high water mark' of
> the process.
>

> This is set to improve with mono 2.8, which does have one such garbage
> collection option, but it is quite new and has yet to be thoroughly
> tested in an OpenSim context. Early testing indicate that it will be
> an improvement in this condition, but other issues do exist (sqlite
> for instance).
>

> Do let us know if you have further questions, we're generally full of
> (ahem) answers ;)

>From what I had to do to setup Diva, I decided to go ahead with mysql.
>From what I'm reading it's better for overall optimization and speed.
Mono is currently using about 5% of my CPU with 1 user logged in (me)
and I had forgot it's still running. Wonderland would eat up about 50%
and jump higher than that with it's client. This ain't bad! If a new
version of mono will improve opensim even more, that's great news. It
just blows my mind to be running .exe anything.

So, I haven't optimized my kernel, as a server boxen, just running
plain-jane Ubuntu 10.4 32 bit. If I wanted to create a dedicated opensim
server, I can just dump the overhead of the desktop completely and run
it command line and burn a lean/mean kernel. So, there is plenty of room
for improvement. Have you gone this route yet?? Thanks Ric

Linux user# 44256