[Opensim-users] Is VNC a possibility?

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Wed Mar 10 06:59:22 UTC 2010

Robert Klein kirjoitti:
> Is there a way in OpenSim a property could be added to a texture to point to
> a VNC connection like realxtend does with web pages? I was playing around

When using RealXtend, you are also using OpenSim, because that is what
is used as the server then. Just with a viewer that comes with VNC
integration too. BTW a group of researchers at DMSLab in Korea, not
affiliated with the ReX core team, have added interactive VNC use
(mouse&kb input) too the the old rexviewer recently (posted feb 2010):
VNC in DMSViewer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7wmgt8vbHU

I guess you mean when using a SL viewer. Last august people demonstrated
client side VNC in SLviewer as well, dunno if the LLMedia API is now in
the 2.0 beta or what: http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2009/08/vpn-via-sl.html
(Virtual VNC: Remotely Control Computers From *Within* Second Life!)

With a viewer like current Hippo with no client side VNC support, it
should be possible to run the VNC client in the Opensim server, and have
that generate textures that any viewer can then show. So I'd say there
is a way, at least if low fps (like 0.3 - 1?) is acceptable in this case
too. OpenSim supports this kind of stuff in the LSL API with
osSetDynamicTextureData and friends -
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Dynamic_textures .. so seems like would be
feasible to make a vnc module that uses the same mechanism as those lsl
calls do. I don't know how well it would work, you can perhaps test
easily by making a script with those commands that draws some boxes and
moves them around, and shows some texts and changes them, emulating a
desktop :) or take a series of screenshots of your desktop and change
those images using osSetDynamicTextureData to fake it to get a feel :o

VNC is more efficient 'cause it only transfers the changed parts, tiles
of the whole shared display, whereas this server side solution would
always need to update the whole display and hence be slower and heavier.

> -Robert

~Toni