[Opensim-users] Making A 30region clone to a 30 sector Mega-region

Master_Mirage mirage123 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 30 12:15:54 UTC 2010

As i mentioned in the 1st post. This is your last chance to check things.
What that ment is i found it tobe a one way trip. Once you atcualy combine
all the regions with all the prims ect. and think well i can just switch it
back and fix it after you would be doing better than i did. When i tryed
that i ended up not able to fix the problem's and actualy eneded up scraping
all of it and start all over again!. I did find you can do that BUT only as
long as you have no objects on the regions yet. On the next go at it i
thought to make the blank.oar. I wanted to explore the problem a bit to see
if there may be away to still recover a region after the fact. So the
blank.oar is ment for that. When uncombined again i could load the blank oar
for the offending region that makes shure whatever was on it it actualy
gone. But in all honesty that is a last resort and depending on whats wrong
you may not beable to recover it anyway. The clone in my case after i got it
in my head this is a one way trip, came out tobe around 95% exact. I felt
that good enough considering the amount of total content. The remaining 5%
were mostly missing prims. As this is a clone and the orginal region was
just a tp away. It was a simple matter of getting the missing bits and tping
back w. them fixing it. At 1st it will seem quite bad in performance and
thats mostly due to flotsum caching catching up to this mass of stuff. It
seems to take it a day or so to catch up. I allready knew this as the same
thing happens normaly. It will improve on its own. Its tempting at 1st to
think ohh i need to fiddle with ini settings to make it better, and found
that isant a good idea. Let the caching do what it was designed todo time to
do it b4 you mess w. any settings! In my case it took it a few days to fully
recreate the new cache data and things improved alot. I thought about
copying the cache from the orginal to the mega insatance, why thats sounds
ok in theroy i decided not to try that to be safe.
You also will find out alot of scripts are not running.. Some do need reset.
this also happens normaly and took a good part of day to reset them. I did
that after i fixed any missing prims and why the caching is catching up
anyway. If i had the insite w. the orgianal regions to add in a reset on rez
to the scripts in the 1st place i probably woulent have had to manualy do
that now but who knew if this was going to work at all.
Now the regions i cloned are the oldest part of my normal grid and being
that are the most developed. Some are more than a year old. I layed them out
with roads and waterways homes, a small city and so on. The roadways go thru
all of the regions and was done for the day when boarder crossing's work. On
a megaregion this is not a problem, So that was also part of trying to clone
what was allready done.
IF it worked i would also will have the rest in place at the same time.
Now after a a few days of letting it bake and fixing the minor stuff, i can
drive from the sw cornor of the mega to my home w. no problems. Quite fun to
do the 1st time after wishing all this time :).
There are a few things to consider in all of this though and the main one is
anyone tping there has to start from the sw region. I found some problems
where it is supose to force an incomming avie there but thats not allways
true and would look broken to ppl that no knowlage of it. So i used MRM
Tele-hub script to enshure this would happen, in fact i found it to be the
best way at this point. Its fast and has taken care of the few cases where
it woulent send them to the proper starting place. This ppl may find a bit
anoying becuase from there thay have to allways tp drive or walk to there
home or shop eachtime so you may want to consider that in your layout and
size. Given that user can now have the benifit of using cars and worn
scripts dont blow up on them ,made the having to start out in the same spot
each time worth it.
I had left the the SW region blank, it was the only one i dident restore an
oar to btw. That was the resion as it would be the spawn point for the whole
thing and as i had nothing really made for it i left it empty for now. You
would want to make something like a welcome area or parking lot anyway.
I will be turning my eye on the settings, there are some settings that will
give you better perfornace in the case of a mega-region but are BAD for
normal region's! As this is a oneway trip with this instance, i will update
this with what i find in the way of ini tweeks as related to this test. Some
settings i allready know help. But i strongly suggest not to asume there is
a one size fits all with them.