[Opensim-users] Virtual World Currency gets more complicated

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 00:48:04 UTC 2010

Certainly the experiences of Second Life and World Of Warcraft show that most authorities (US, European, and Asian) treat "in world" money as real money. The only condition seems to be that you can somehow convert both to and from a real world currency to the virtual currency.

This is certainly not a "show stopper" which would prevent an in world currency, nor do  intend to imply that it is.

However since there has not been any reasonable form of in world currency for the OpenSim based grids so far, all of these grids and sims have been operated without any need to consider these issues.

In various private email exchanges with different sim owners, I have been alarmed at the rush to simply "include a currency scheme" into their worlds without considering the implications of such a move.

Both Second Life and World of Warcraft had amply illustrated the problems involved and there is no need to repeat their mistakes!

I agree that "money laundering" as we normally conceive it is unlikely, but you only have to look at the history of PGP encryption for an example of what can happen:

"Shortly after its release, PGP encryption found its way outside the United States, and in February 1993 Zimmermann became the formal target of a criminal investigation by the US Government for "munitions export without a license"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

There are a great many such examples which are not as well known.

Most real world laws and taxes are based on the location of the transaction, this loctaion is very hard to define for a virtual world transaction.

How does one figure out depreciation on virtual goods or in world land?

I am sure anyone reading this can supply more such questions.

Karen