[Opensim-users] Virtual World Currency gets more complicated

lamont cranston l.cranston at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 20:30:36 UTC 2010

For users, if the money is real, and if US law sees it that way, it becomes
a just another normal business transaction to exchange virtual goods. And
that includes sales taxes, and IRS income reporting.

It really isn't that far fetched -

The reason Bob  paid 500 USD for a golf club is because of the increased
enjoyment he gets from having it; it impresses other, knowledgeable players,
and increases his enjoyment of the game.

The reason Alice paid 1200 L$/Meta/WoWgold for a virtual item is because of
the increased enjoyment she gets from having it; it impresses other,
knowledgeable players, and increases her enjoyment of the game.

Similar transactions, with similar reasons for making the transactions. Why,
in the mind of a tax lawyer, should they be treated differently? Bob paid
his state's sales tax, why shouldn't Mary? From a tax man's view, the
virtual is an improvement on the physical, because every exchange must be
documented, by a central authority.

For the person/company running the world, they are literally playing "bank"
since they are holding real assets for users - the whole idea of "fiduciary
obligations", as others mentioned, kicks in. Since a server crash could deny
someone the peaceable use of their property, that could be a potential
hassle as well...

"money laundering" is an interesting angle, although the virtual realm is
not the most appealing way to actually bury a transaction (imagine trying to
move 50,000USD into and out of a sim, in a reasonable amount of time, given
that most transactions are way below 1USD. You can see that buying and
selling a car would be more attractive)
But common sense is not the usual attribute of a tax agency.