[Opensim-users] Virtual World Currency gets more complicated

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 20 00:47:44 UTC 2010

Sorry, I thought that people would use this as a pointer to read the actual articles and the comments.

My position is far from a simple "do it" or "don't do it", but rather "be aware of all the implications and check with a good lawyer FIRST!"

Most of us (myself included) run a private grid just as a hobby - I have no plans to make money from it ever! Even if people donate to the expenses this MAY be seen as being similar to a group sharing the expenses of a camping trip, many of the speciality grids are presently run like that.

On the other hand, the minute you actually "do business" on your grid though, you ARE a business and a whole different set of rules apply!

The trouble is the term "doing business" has a different definition in just about every part of the world!. If you buy and sell things for a profit (even virtual things) then you are clearly a business though.

That has implications about liability and insurance, licensing of various sorts, and a total lack of any "consumer protection" laws!

Taxes are one aspect, but others are money laundering laws, currency exchange laws, accounting requirements, and gambling laws. Gambling is what the Korean lawsuit was about, the game players were accused of gambling and faced jail time for it. The court found that they "earned" the money, freeing them from that problem, but opening up many others.

There are also laws about "fiduciary responsibility", in other words if you handle someone else's money then you have certain "duties of care" under the law. In some cases you can be criminally liable for not knowing and following these laws, Bernie Madoff is an extreme example.

It is entirely possible that someone who simply sells a US$1 item at an inworld flea market could be held to be part of the "management" and lose everything they own because of a mistake made in managing the grid! House, cars and (ARRRGGH!) computers included!

One of the companies I manage (an LLC) is pursuing someone for violating securities laws because they did not provide all of the paperwork to me on time (they waited 6 months, by which time both the investment and the promised security were worthless). It is unlikely, but that person could do jail time for that oversight. It is VERY likely that they will end up paying 25% of their income for the rest of their life though!

Forming an LLC will likely be your first step, for a good article about this see:

http://www.realestatetaxlaw.com/choice%20of%20entity%20101.html

DO NOT take as much as L$1 in world until you have studied this and all of the other material around about starting and running a small business!

My point is simply this: once you take money there are a whole lot of new rules that apply and you had better know those rules!

Did I make myself clear this time? :-)

Karen