[Opensim-users] Banning "bad" viewers was Re: Can this be done?

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 13 08:18:17 UTC 2010

I suppose the way to disprove this would be to compile a version of the "genuine" Linden Labs viewer with all content checking disabled and the capability to do some sort of nastiness then distribute it to all the script kiddies somehow.

I am sure there are people out there who will do (or have done) exactly that, but it will not be me even to prove a point. A quick look at the code says it should be about a half day's work, less if I reverse engineered some version of copybot.

In my estimation that makes the illusion that checking the ID exactly equivalent to illusion presented by a dummy fire extinguisher. We just have not (yet) identified which "genuine LL viewer" is the really the fake!

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice there is!

Karen