[Opensim-users] Banning "bad" viewers was Re: Can this be done?

John Ward jward at uci.edu
Wed Jan 13 17:06:26 UTC 2010

On 01/13/2010 12:18 AM, Karen Palen wrote:
> I suppose the way to disprove this would be to compile a version of
> the "genuine" Linden Labs viewer with all content checking disabled
> and the capability to do some sort of nastiness then distribute it to
> all the script kiddies somehow.

What would this prove?  I think it would prove that one would have to
use a client that identifies itself with a blessed ID.

> I am sure there are people out there who will do (or have done)
> exactly that, but it will not be me even to prove a point. A quick
> look at the code says it should be about a half day's work, less if I
> reverse engineered some version of copybot.

You must have lots of spare time to call a half day's work NOTHING.

> In my estimation that makes the illusion that checking the ID exactly
> equivalent to illusion presented by a dummy fire extinguisher. We
> just have not (yet) identified which "genuine LL viewer" is the
> really the fake!

The broken analogy again....  What fire does a dummy fire extinguisher
put out?  Blocking based on ID will block any client with the wrong ID.
  It will let any client in with a correct ID even an undesirable one.
I find it painfully amusing that on one hand you call this nothing and
on another complain how it hurts good users.  If its nothing how can it
hurt good users?