[Opensim-users] Speaking of Content Theft, How About Our Own Backyard?

Master_Mirage mirage123 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 25 16:18:11 UTC 2010

About the only way to make stolen stuff unattractive is to police the
sellers looking for (real) watermarks!

     + We dont have to, users can police them selphs and the orginal maker
can be knowen rather than guessing on there part.

Remember though that every protection scheme has its price (as we see in the
SL fuss right now!).

     + The price here would be on the server side not the user as the system
sets it each time auto.

Usually it is the would be honest user who gets hurt the most. They simply
avoid buying anything.

     + Thats exactly who we need to tell that the grid has some protections
to what thay make.

At one time I would fly somewhere twice a week, since all the "enhanced
security" has been introduced I avoid air travel whenever I can!

Anywhere in the Western US I drive, in 2008 I drove from Phoenix to Chicago
and then to Toronto on business!

At least within 500 miles of Phoenix (e.g. LA) door to door drive time is
less than flying and FAR less hassle.

Trouble is it is very hard to track just how many customers are lost through
extra hassle so they tend to be disregarded until the whole system
collapses.

       + I Dont think like that, its too fatalistic

I see that exact same scenario playing out in Second Life right now. I
rarely buy anything in SL any more because I want to use it in my own sim
and the permissions generally will not allow that!

In 2008 I averaged L$15K/month spent in SL, so far this year it is L$125!

Security is worthless if it costs you more in sales than doing nothing!

Karen

Sl dident know back then what would happen (no one did). It was never done
b4 that.
Opensimulator does know about the problem b4 the 1st line of code was
written.
If we know about the problem and do nothing about it, shame on us!
Opensimulator has yet another chance to make use of the many brillant ppl to
make use of the hindsight.
If we do nothing i feel we will find our selphs also trying to close the
barn door after the horse got out.
Whos to say that ll wount look at us and say 'Wow thats a great idea thay
have!'.
One things forshure 'If you know somethings wrong and just look the other
way, were just as guilty.'
Grid ops have to kill flys with a hammer becuse of the shear scale of the
content. Users Know that and dont like it when we have to act. Thay tend to
work out issues if thay have a way to know who orginated something and can
simply ask them. To have an admin do it is probly doing more dammage than
the problem lol.
If someone said 'Hay thats my jukebox, I made it, and never gave it to
anyone, I want it removed from your grid!' I dont have a good way to do that
right now because there is no effective way to track it or its clones.
I still think we can add in to some degree workable functions for dealing
with stolen stuff with out bothering the users with more hoops. We have a
chance to make or at least try and see what Opensim as a comuinty can come
up with.
Doing something along these lines now goes along way in users minds and
shows our good faith effort.
Opensim is not SL and beeing proactive about content theft/proliferation is
further proof of it.
Sofar all i get from this thread is reasions why we CANT do something about
it When we should be talking about ways we CAN!.
This is why i dont like to talk in theroy's. All that and a dollar gets yah
cup of coffee.
Fogive my passion, its not intened in a bad way at anyone.