[Opensim-users] Speaking of Content Theft, How About Our Own Backyard?

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 25 05:47:27 UTC 2010

About the only way to make stolen stuff unattractive is to police the sellers looking for (real) watermarks!

Remember though that every protection scheme has its price (as we see in the SL fuss right now!).

Usually it is the would be honest user who gets hurt the most. They simply avoid buying anything.

At one time I would fly somewhere twice a week, since all the "enhanced security" has been introduced I avoid air travel whenever I can!

Anywhere in the Western US I drive, in 2008 I drove from Phoenix to Chicago and then to Toronto on business!

At least within 500 miles of Phoenix (e.g. LA) door to door drive time is less than flying and FAR less hassle.

Trouble is it is very hard to track just how many customers are lost through extra hassle so they tend to be disregarded until the whole system collapses.

I see that exact same scenario playing out in Second Life right now. I rarely buy anything in SL any more because I want to use it in my own sim and the permissions generally will not allow that!

In 2008 I averaged L$15K/month spent in SL, so far this year it is L$125!

Security is worthless if it costs you more in sales than doing nothing!

Karen