[Opensim-users] Question about IAR files

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 24 00:16:58 UTC 2010

GMail-johnpat10 wrote:

> Do have a couple questions about IAR though:
>
> 1. When I was running Save and Load IAR I'm working directly on the
> server and the command line on the server. It also saved the IAR files
> directly to the bin folder (Diva install) and requires that they be in
> the bin folder when I load them back into a different sim.  This is not
> a problem when the server and the client are on the same hardware (my
> desktop), but when OpenSim is deployed on it's own hardware, am i going
> to have to log in remotely to the server to run iar? Is it possible to
> ssh to OpenSim server and run the management console to save and load
> IAR files? How would you do that if the server is already running, you
> wouldn't want to start another terminal window and run opensim.exe
> again, would you?

At this point you have to login remotely.  One way to do this is to run OpenSim in a "screen" instance (you should be able to google the screen command on the internet) and reconnect to that screen instance when you ssh in.

> 2. When running the save iar command, is it possible to set the saved
> file path to another computer? If so what would that look like?
> <save iar user name ///user/myuseraccount/Documents/OpenSim_Archives
> mySecretPassword theSavedArchive >??? Same thing for using the "load
> iar" command from a client computer?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

> Would it be possible for the "save iar" command to save to an ftp
> directory, like: <save iar user
> name ftp://imstudent:mypassword@Archive_Student_Created_Content/Server/OpenSim_Archives_Portfolio/
> mySecretPassword theSavedArchive > ???

At this point no, though it's an interesting idea.  At some point I'll implement the "load from url" facility on "load iar" that "load oar" already has.  Writing out would be pretty cool but I haven't given much thought to the issue yet.

> 3. Is there a gui interface to run the OpenSim mangement console from a
> desktop to generate, save and load IAR files?
>
> Ideally, I would like the ability to save and load AIR files from a
> client computer rather than the server. Or even if there was an little
> GUI app that students could use to save what the create to a digital
> portfoio, kind of like the ftp example in question number 2.

afaik nobody has written such a thing yet.  The first thing would be to implement a command on the remote admin interface similar to the existing ones for loading and saving oars remotely.  Then a gui could hook into that.

Remote generation may also be possible using OpenSim's remote REST console facility.  I don't have any instructions on using this to hand at the moment (if such have even been written).  This will still only write the files to directories reachable by the server.

> Thanks in advance for any help!  :-)
>
> John Patten
> Tech Dept
> SUSD
>

> On Feb 23, 2010, at 12:13 PM, marcel verhagen wrote:
>
>> I am happy with the save tools of opensim. It enables me to build cool
>> things with a real time pressure.
>> Cause it is easy to back up all created on the sims and in my
>> inventory on the serverside.
>>
>> Somehow I do not feel the need to copy over tons of things from sl and
>> back.
>>
>> However I find the idea that someone who logs in with a pirate viewer
>> and also can copy all the things on my sims from the viewer side a bit
>> disturbing.
>>
>> Makes me wonder can I block those viewers from my own opensims ?

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc