[Opensim-users] Question about IAR files

GMail-johnpat10 johnpat10 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 21:15:23 UTC 2010

Coming full circle from my original question...issue is obviously a
common concern. Too bad SL Version 2 does not have a way to save out
inventory like OpenSim's IAR.  Seems like it would have been a great
opportunity add that capability for things you create in SL Viewer Ver
2...

Just to follow up on IAR, it worked fine for me in my tests, granted
the VirtualBox servers were identical but on different computers. I
liked the fact that you have to be organized with the stuff your
create and place them is specfic folders, etc good skill for
students ;-)

Most of what I see my teachers and students using OpenSim would be in
"walled garden" type of situations. So the ability to deploy a
specific sim with prebuilt content, and then ability to IAR content
they create and inventory in portfolio, etc. seems to fit my purpose.

Do have a couple questions about IAR though:

1. When I was running Save and Load IAR I'm working directly on the
server and the command line on the server. It also saved the IAR files
directly to the bin folder (Diva install) and requires that they be in
the bin folder when I load them back into a different sim.  This is
not a problem when the server and the client are on the same hardware
(my desktop), but when OpenSim is deployed on it's own hardware, am i
going to have to log in remotely to the server to run iar? Is it
possible to ssh to OpenSim server and run the management console to
save and load IAR files? How would you do that if the server is
already running, you wouldn't want to start another terminal window
and run opensim.exe again, would you?

2. When running the save iar command, is it possible to set the saved
file path to another computer? If so what would that look like?
<save iar user name ///user/myuseraccount/Documents/OpenSim_Archives
mySecretPassword theSavedArchive >??? Same thing for using the "load
iar" command from a client computer?

Would it be possible for the "save iar" command to save to an ftp
directory, like: <save iar user name ftp://
imstudent:mypassword at Archive_Student_Created_Content/Server/
OpenSim_Archives_Portfolio/ mySecretPassword theSavedArchive > ???

3. Is there a gui interface to run the OpenSim mangement console from
a desktop to generate, save and load IAR files?

Ideally, I would like the ability to save and load AIR files from a
client computer rather than the server. Or even if there was an little
GUI app that students could use to save what the create to a digital
portfoio, kind of like the ftp example in question number 2.

Thanks in advance for any help!  :-)

John Patten
Tech Dept
SUSD