[Opensim-users] Question about IAR files

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Wed Feb 24 07:22:00 UTC 2010

Justin Clark-Casey kirjoitti:
>> 3. Is there a gui interface to run the OpenSim mangement console from a
>> desktop to generate, save and load IAR files?
>>
> afaik nobody has written such a thing yet.  The first thing would be to implement a command on the

We were just yesterday brainstorming and planning how to do that kind of
interface as a part of realXtend work, not for OARs or IARs though but
for the .scene (dotscene) xml format we use to export from 3d apps like
Blender and Max. The logistics with the transfer of the tarball/zip and
commanding the Opensim server from the GUI are identical, though, just
the xml etc. inside is different.

The main need is to allow modellers and level designers etc. to upload
scenes (or parts of them) remotely to the server, without needing access
to the system nor having to know how to use the console. This is how it
works with the console now,
http://realxtend.blogspot.com/2009/12/tutorial-to-import-scene-from-blender.html

> remote admin interface similar to the existing ones for loading and saving oars remotely.  Then a gui could hook into that.
> Remote generation may also be possible using OpenSim's remote REST console facility.  I don't have any instructions on using this to hand at the moment (if such have even been written).  This will

Our current candidate solution is to make a REST handler to OpenSim
which accepts the scene+assets bundle over http, and runs the
import/load command that nowdays is given from the console. Possibly
that same http listener will also implement a web (html) gui for doing
that. Another GUI options we have is writing one to the Naali viewer
itself (using qt, instead of html), and we'll probably at some point
also integrate the http scene upload to Blender so that it can send it
to Opensim directly.

An interesting idea is to put the imported scene as an asset to the
inventory. That is, if you have already imported some scenes / loaded
some OARs earlier, they show in your inv, and you can apply them from
there (kind of like rezzing linksets). We will probably do this for
.scene, dunno if the idea would apply for OARs as well.

This is not terribly urgent for us, 'cause right now the building works
progress by the modellers just using local sandboxes where managing the
files is easy and no harm can be done accidentally to production
servers. But probably we want this sooner than later to ease remote
uploads, possible implement already next week or so (after some planning
first still).

So if we do that, will at least give some info for vanilla Opensim usage
too about how http uploads / rest commands work for this etc., and
possibly some code that also OAR/IAR uploading can reuse.

We are not using OAR for this 'cause the format is much more complex
than the very simple .scene xml which works for just the visual parts of
the scene (models, their pos&rot&scales, and materials), and .scene
exporters already existed for most modelling apps. OAR is a
autoserialized .NET dump of OpenSim internal data structures, so not the
easiest to support in other applications, and if we'd write support for
it by hand, it would break always when OpenSim internal structures
change. OAR is of course very useful for saving all the OpenSim data for
transfers and backups, just not easiest for interop with other
applications. Whether these two use cases could be somehow unified to
use the same format is another discussion (and on a -dev forum to not
bore users :), just wanted to mention here why we don't use OAR for this
now.

~Toni