[Opensim-users] Multi-core, multi-threading OpenSim

Gwyneth Llewelyn gwyneth.llewelyn at gwynethllewelyn.net
Fri Aug 20 18:22:30 UTC 2010

Hi all,

A simple and stupid question. I was trying to look for some
information if OpenSim is multi-threaded and able to automatically run
on multiple cores, or if due to some limitations of Mono (unknown to
me), this is impossible. Google seems quiet on this (or I might just
have been unable to trigger the right combination of keywords that
provide me with the answer I need).

If so, it would make more sense to launch multiple separate Mono
instances, each running a set of regions, instead of having just one
instance with all the regions in that server?

What would you recommend as a more reasonable configuration? I usually
have Linux installations with 4 virtual cores, and from visual
observation, only two (sometimes even just one!) is being used all the
time by OpenSim and Robust. Does Mono somehow pre-bind to a single
core and never changes? (In that case, launching multiple OpenSim
instances would all get pre-bound on a single core, thus not really
making any difference?) For a server that is exclusively used for
OpenSim, it seems a waste to let all those cores run idle...

Thanks for any input on this :)

Cheers,

	- Gwyn
--
"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
   -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08