[Opensim-users] Mumble Voice is Online

Jeroen van Veen j.veenvan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 14:04:02 UTC 2010

On Thursday 19 August 2010 15:32:22 enauman wrote:
> Is there an advantage to using this Mumble/Whisper setup over
> Freeswitch/SLVoice? It doesn't yet offer spatial voice so is it easier to
> configure? (I"m still trying, working with my LAN's sysadmin, to get
> Freeswitch working outside our firewall.) Also, I might be thick-headed
> here (easily), but it seems you're saying all clients HAVE to swap
> SLVoice.exe with whisper in order to access voice in your region if you're
> supplying it with the mumble module. Is this the case? If so, I can't see
> how that's practical.
> Thanks, ERik
I can see two advantages here: mumble has in theory better sound
quality(through the celt codec) with less bandwidth, and replacing Vivox'
implementation with an open-source one, would make it possible to distribute
it by default with the ll-based viewers. I just wonder whether it will be
crossplatform, and whether it makes sense to keep a bsd-license when the ll-
viewer is gpl'ed.

kind regards,

Jeroen