[Opensim-users] Mumble Voice is Online

Neil Canham neil at knowsense.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 14:25:51 UTC 2010

I'm sure Volker will give you more details, but my take on it is:

   - Existing SLVoice when used with Freeswitch falls back to low quality as
   mentioned in the comments here
   http://zaki.asia/2009/04/28/freeswitch-module-in-opensim/ whereas
   replacing SLVoice allows the high quality Mumble codec to be used (I've been
   using Whisper for some time, it is very clear)
   - The new SLVoice that is being provided supports lip sync and the
   'overhead' green bracket speaker indication, which are missing when using
   Freeswitch.
   - People tend to use 3rd party viewers such as Hippo or Imprudence to
   connect to OpenSim - these do not come with SLVoice so you need to grab an
   SLVoice from somewhere anyway
   - If this proves popular, being OpenSource it will hopefully be possible
   to bundle the new SLVoice with a third party viewer such as Imprudence

--
Neil Canham