[Opensim-users] Region handshake issue

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 08:45:42 UTC 2010

At 23:27 12/08/2010, opensim-users-request at lists.berlios.de wrote:
>I am working on an Opensim server at a university.  We have been given
>a static IP for the server machine.  We can verify that the server can
>be accessed from outside the campus because we can telnet to the
>address and we can access a website from that address.  The
>"Regions.ini" file has "0.0.0.0" as the internal IP and the static IP
>as the external IP.  We use port 9000 and that is also set up in
>"Regions.ini."  On campus, we can log in using the Hippo Viewer just
>fine.  Outside of campus, login hangs at "Region Handshake."  The
>server uses Windows Server 2008 with exceptions in Windows firewall
>for both TCP and UDP for port 9000.  Even with the firewall turned
>off, it still doesn't work.  Strangely, it did work once for about a
>day.  I don't believe anything changed after that point.  Any
>suggestions would be appreciated.

to ask the obvious, check all levels of firewall in your setup. In
our University we have the machine firewall, a departmental (the
toughest controlled) and a university level one.

For a standalone port 9000 must be open (by default for one region
and the sim services)

For grids its usual to have 8002 for the grid services and
9000...9xxx for one port for eaxch region you are usiong.. the prots
are set in te region.ini files.