[Opensim-users] Rolling Ball Physics (was Re: Voice Installation Class

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 15 06:37:05 UTC 2009

I finally got things working again so I can try this with some confidence!

I dropped the ball onto a wedge shaped plane (prism prim) 10m x 10m x 5m

It rolled as one would expect with the texture rolling with the ball.

In setting this up I first had the wedge non-physical and tried to move the ball through the prism - it crashed the sim!

I suspect that this was because I found a stray (non-physical) door underground and it was selected at the same time.

I am using the binary .deb package version of Opensim 0.6.6-1 as my baseline to be certain that I have not introduced any strageness by a recompile.

The physics section of my opensim.ini reads:

    ; ##
    ; ## PHYSICS
    ; ##

    ; if you would like to allow prims to be physical and move by physics with the physical checkbox in the client set this to true.
    physical_prim = true

    ; Select a mesher here. ZeroMesher is save and fast.
    ; ZeroMesher also means that the physics engine models the physics of prims
    ; sticking to the basic shapes the engine does support. Usually this is only a box.
    ; Meshmerizer gives a better handling of complex prims by using triangle meshes.
    ; Note, that only ODE physics currently deals with meshed prims in a satisfactoring way
    ;
    ;meshing = ZeroMesher
    meshing = Meshmerizer

    ; Choose one of the physics engines below
    ;physics = basicphysics
    ;physics = POS
    physics = OpenDynamicsEngine
    ;physics = modified_BulletX

    ; ##

That is:
physical_prim = true
meshing = Meshmerizer
physics = OpenDynamicsEngine

I have not experimented with either voice or hypergrid - YET :-)

I hope this helps you track down the problem.

I plan to repeat this with 0.6.7 in a couple of days once I have a test grid running for 0.6.7.

Karen