[Opensim-users] linking regions and hypergrid

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 9 08:44:34 UTC 2009

If you are using Linux, be sure you backup include the /var/* directory!

What bit me is that MySQL uses /var/MySql/... for the database by default and /var/* was NOT being backed up! Unfortunately there are good reasons fo rnot including /var/* in a backup (it is intended as transient files after all!), but you do need to be sure that you make an exception for /var/mysql/* !!!

I use Linux/Ubuntu, but the issue is the same for every OS, only the names of the guilty parties will change!

You would be amazed at how much work you hav eput into that database WHEN you have to rebuild it!

Having said that remember that sailors are divided into three groups: those who have run aground, those who ARE aground and LIARS!

Forewarned is forearmed!

Karen