[Opensim-users] About OpenSim Server Cluster

Ursula MATOVA ursula.matova at klintcentral.net
Thu Jun 18 16:05:42 UTC 2009

Hi Arturo,

In grid mode you have the ability to separate server components ( UGAIM
+R )
I'm not sure at all that "clustering" will be possible with the
current development state. Anyway, one thing you could experiment is
the following :

- First Server : Database + UGAIM
- Second server : R ( Region Server )

Another idea ( depends on the number of region you're hosting ) :

Spliting the regions into 2 groups, then, run one region server on
each server. Of course you cannot run multiple copies of UGAIM.

Another point is to carefully monitor your database ( MySQL in my
case ), running maintenance tasks, ...
I have found that bad response times with MySQL have a very bad impact
on the whole OpenSim server performances.
You could also use a database cluster.

@Gavin : Not sure it's a good idea to run OpenSim into virtual
machines, not in a production environment. You really have too many
performance problem with the current virtualization tools ( I have
only tested xen ).

Hope this help,

regards,
Ursula.