[Opensim-users] About OpenSim Server Cluster

Gavin Spurgeon gspurgeon at dageek.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 11:15:47 UTC 2009

On 18/06/09 11:02, Arturo Nakasone wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This question might be somewhat unrelated to OpenSim, but we would
> appreciate if anyone could help us with this:
>
> Currently, we have two Dell PowerEdge servers running two separate
> instances of OpenSim. While we were testing our applications, we had
> some small performance problems we would like to avoid by combining the
> power of both our servers. In short, what we are looking for is a way to
> cluster our servers in such a way that OpenSim can look at this cluster
> as one server. Since most of the burden for our applications is in the
> Region Server, I am not sure if running OpenSim in Grid mode will really
> help in this case.
>
> If anyone knows about any hardware or software based solution we can
> use, please let us know

Simple answer,

  Run your OpenSim in a Virtual Machine (Xen/KVM/QEMU) and have both
physical servers running the Virtual Machines setup as a cluster with
shared storage.

This also gives you Load Balancing and Fault Tolerance as a bonus :-)

"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything,
they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.."
Gavin Spurgeon.
AKA Da Geek

--
This message was scanned by DaGeek Spam Filter and is believed to be clean.