[Opensim-users] Database cleanup

Michael mikeeab at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 19:24:58 UTC 2009

This thread got me wondering, and I started poking at my DBs.

First, please note that I only host my regions at OSgrid... I don't have to
deal with grid service DBs. Only my simulator's DBs. And I'm *assuming* that
some cleanup does take place for these... that when a prim is rezzed it's
added to the simulator's DB, and when it's removed or taken back into
inventory it's deleted from the DB. At least, my DBs give me this
impression, or they'd be monstrous at the rate I rez and delete stuff. :P

Though there's oddities. Not long after I began hosting regions on OSgrid
(Feb. 2009), I acquired a bit of furniture with the name Cushioned Stool.
Now, I could swear I only have one of these rezzed at the moment. Yet a
query on my DB brings up 32 rows, each with it's own UUID, all with the same
RegionUUID (which is expected), and some have a non-zero GroupUUID (huh,
that's unexpected). The only other way each of these differ is position and
rotation values.

I have no idea why this is, or whether it's safe to remove any of these
rows. Worse, a query for the name "Primitive" brings up 8000+ rows, and I
have no idea how many might be erroneous, or how to tell which are. Some
guidance from someone well informed on the opensim databases would
definitely be helpful. If a wiki page about the sim DBs exists, a link might
be helpful too. :)

I've created shell scripts to automate and schedule certain tasks, and would
love to make one for cleaning up kipple if I only knew what I was looking
for.

Marcus Llewellyn