[Opensim-users] Database cleanup

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 22 19:08:35 UTC 2009

Karen Palen wrote:
> That is one way to solve the problem, although I don't know MySQL well enough to figure out how!
>
> I was actually hoping that OpenSim had some built in utility that would do this in a more intelligent way though. Essentially the knowledge about what is deleted or not is fairly high level information within OpenSim itself. A "touch" would at best be an emulation of this.
>
> Ideally this would run regularly and keep down the "cruft" build-up.
>
> Next best would be to dump each region to an OAR file, each avatar's inventory to an IAR file then build a new database from that! It would work, but could take several days of effort to make sure that it was done right. My next thought is to use Second Inventory to do the same thing, but that could be even slower!

Dumping OARs and IARs would work but it would be tedious.

For a long time I've wanted to write a tool that would effectively do this
automatically, identifying the cruft and dumping it via the same mechanisms that
are used to identify the required asset chains in OAR and IAR saves.  This
wouldn't be too hard to do for a standalone.  It would be okay for very small
grids (as long as they can be taken offline for a period).

The larger the grid, the more difficult it gets.  This simplistic dependency
identification approach seems near impossible for "open" grids (those allowing
3rd party region simulators).

Unfortunately, such a tool is way back on my pro bono list, way behind all the
other interesting things I've discussed recently but haven't done yet :)

> Karen

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc