[Opensim-users] Opensim-users Digest, Vol 28, Issue 18

dz dz at bitzend.net
Thu Dec 10 22:36:21 UTC 2009

> From: Marcus Alexander Link <manupool at gmail.com>

> Is there a reliable way to protect the source of a
> script in a .oar file ?

The standard technical response to the content protection questions are
often repeated here.... "there is no way to prevent reverse engineering
efforts"  and "maybe it should be free anyway",  But there are things we can
do to help insure we can identify and protect content.

The object "permissions" system in SL is not ideal, but at least
implementing that properly would give us a foothold on the bigger issues.
The fact that object creator fields is either missing or changeable by the
platform backup utilities indicates how far we have to go.  I would  +100  a
permission scheme that lets ONLY the content creator set a "public
domain/standard BSD license" flag.

If OpenSim is going to point at the DMCA as its method of content
protection, we should learn from the Linden's that NOT providing the proper
utilities to track ownership of content doesn't impress content providers.
( IANAL, so no legal advice here...)  It seems to just make them upset and
leave.   This exodus from SL is growing  and Marcus's post here is evidence
of what they are looking for.

Doug

*********   the interesting bits so far....    ***********