[Opensim-users] more..on terrain

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 11 14:37:28 UTC 2008

Something else odd - I cannot seem to use terrain commands
when in a region other that the default. For example, I'll do:

change-region Chester
...Currently selected region is Chester

and then:

terrain help yields ===Terrain===   with no help commands listed

terrain fill 22 yields No such command exists

These commands (including the help) work only when I am in
my default region. When I am in the root region, the command,
similarly, works only for the default region, with 3 errors produced
for the remaining 3 regions in the grid:

Invalid command - No such command exists

I think this is at the root (no pun intended) of the earlier problem.
I'll report to Mantis if this is a bug?

-p

Paul Fishwick wrote:
> Rhian
> I did this as well. I export as RAW using the 32 bit floating point
> option. Then I get a file:  terrain.raw. I then move this to
> terrain.r32 using a DOS window. I'll send you the file in
> another email.
> -paul
>

> Rhian wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> I have done the same sort of thing recently, but the only thing that I
>> have done differently is exporting as .RAW (32-bit floating point),
>> then changing to .r32 from the commandline.
>> My map is actually a 3 x 1 region, not 2 x 2, but the principle is
>> the same.
>> (See OSGrid: BubbleBay-1, 2 and 3)
>>
>> If you want I can take a look at yours.
>>
>> Rhian
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:08 AM, Paul Fishwick
>> <fishwick at cise.ufl.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an L3DT created 512x512 image that I'd like to use as a terrain
>>> on a 2x2 grid (1000,1000) --> (1001,1001). I've followed the
>>> instructions in:
>>>
>>> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Using_L3DT
>>>
>>> making the size 512x512, and then when I export the heightfield map,
>>> I make sure to change the file to an extension of .r32 and ensure
>>> that I
>>> click on the Options button to select "32 bit floating point (meters)"
>>> just prior to exporting.
>>>
>>> A "terrain load-tile terrain.r32 2 2 1000 1000"
>>>
>>> yields:
>>>
>>> Invalid command - No such command exists
>>> ==Terrain==
>>> (this repeats 2 more times, and then)
>>> [Region DB]: Storing terrain revision r1
>>>
>>> I am in (root), and it seems to treat the 512x512 map as a 256x256
>>> map and changes only the region in (1000,1000) instead of all 4
>>> regions.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? I can email my terrain.r32 file if anyone likes...
>>>
>>> -p

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu