[Opensim-users] [Opensim-dev] Grid Numberging

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Sat Nov 1 14:05:16 UTC 2008

Actually, I just realized that the problem is already much worse than I
thought.
The practices that we are all doing around opensim completely invalidate
the concept of uniqueness in UUIDs. This comes from the fact that UUIDs
are being externalized into DBs and XML representations, which are then
being imported elsewhere. As people reuse entire DBs and XML files to
recreate the same worlds in different grids, uniqueness goes down the
drain. So definitely, forget about "Universal" Unique Identification
with UUIDs; uris/urls are absolutely required for universal naming. The
only way to savage UUIDs would be use part of their representation to
deterministically code up the ip/port of where they come from.