[Opensim-users] [Opensim-dev] Grid Numberging

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Sat Nov 1 11:37:11 UTC 2008

And the whole thread started with suggesting we allocate information bits to encode semantics. Which drastically heightens the risk of collisions, intentional or malicious.
Just see guids as private to the trust domain, and we'll all fine. Grids should be publicly referred to by something riches, as an uri/url for example.
Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB Join the 3d web revolution : http://tribalnet.se/

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:10:41 -0700From: diva at metaverseink.comTo: opensim-users at lists.berlios.deSubject: Re: [Opensim-users] [Opensim-dev] Grid Numberging
Not to mention the dudes and dudettes who generate region UUIDs by hand... (a-hem)Purely random UUIDs that don't encode higher-order information are too fragile when there is a chance that people will get their hands on them. I'm not even talking about malicious manipulation, just simple human intervention.Frisby, Adam wrote:
Yeah, the reason I said 'almost' wasn’t because of a good UUID generator, - it's the bad ones.

IE, people using bad random sources, etc which dramatically increase the chance of a collision - ie if you are only getting 30 bits of randomness, you could run into a collision fairly quickly.

Adam