[Opensim-users] oddities with SecondInventory and Opensim 770x

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 15 16:35:20 UTC 2008

James Stallings II wrote:
> Interesting choice of words: "... since OS
> appears to be vulnerable to any application using libSL, browsers
> included."
>
> This begs the questions: can opensim distinguish between clients? Should
> it as a part of the core functionality?
>
> I think the answer to the former, at least, is a resounding 'No".
>
> In any event, last I heard, use of third-party inventory transfer
> systems was not supported by the opensim team, if not actively
> discouraged (at least, that was the case in the past).

I don't think there is either active encouragement or discouragement of the use of such systems.  I think it has little
to do with the OpenSim project.

However, I believe that we should aim to be robust in the face of clients that do unexpected things - the client is in
the hands of the enemy, as Raph Koster said.

> [...]
>
> In the interim, if there is in fact a problem with SI corrupting
> inventories, we should perhaps investigate some method of controlling
> its use.
>
> Cheers
> James
>

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 9:41 AM, John Hopkin
> <opensim at jfhopkin.karoo.co.uk <mailto:opensim at jfhopkin.karoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     With all due respect, surely:
>
>     (a) This doesn't look like the cache glitch - with that, you see your
>     pre-existing inv items, just not the new ones.  It looks to me like
>     Sacha is saying the inventory is actually rendered unusable (permanent
>
>     (b) If (a) is correct, this is *not* purely a SI problem, since OS
>     appears to be vulnerable to any application using libSL, browsers
>     included.  An application using a standard API should not be able to
>     cause damage to the underlying database.
>
>     Even if SI had actually deleted the entire inventory or something,
>     surely you'd just see an empty inv, not "loading"?
>
>     All the best
>     John
>
>     James Stallings II wrote:
>
>      >Sacha, typically, from what I understand, a cache-clear is req'd
>     before any
>      >inventory imported with second inventory will be seen in the av's
>     inventory.
>      >
>      >That being said, second inventory questions are perhaps best asked
>      >elsewhere.
>      >
>      >Cheers
>      >James
>      >
>      >
>      >On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Lc <lcc1967 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:lcc1967 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      >> Hello all,
>      >>
>      >> Some users report me that issue and I'd appreciate if someone
>     can reproduce
>      >> that :
>      >> Beware, the avatar won't recover the inventory, please don't
>     test that with
>      >> your regular "you"
>      >>
>      >> Create a new avatar
>      >> go InWolrd
>      >> Grab some object / skin / shape / items in order to fill its
>     inventory
>      >> Check the inventory = No issue, all should be there.
>      >> Eventually logOff/On to countercheck
>      >>
>      >> Now the "odd" part :
>      >>
>      >> Start SecondInventory
>      >> upload any object/skin whatever inworld
>      >> Stop SI
>      >>
>      >> Log the avatar inworld
>      >> Now the inventory will stay "loading"
>      >> No shape / skin is loaded
>      >> you are ruthed
>      >>
>      >> I looked in the DB and couldn't find any items loaded with

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com